Save money while you save the planet…
You know that cars are a leading contributor to greenhouse gases, and you may also know that washing our cars is also on the list of planet-damaging activities in our daily lives. Most carwash methods are a tremendous waste of treated water and also cause runoff of chemical cleaners into the wastewater system. IT DOESN’T HAVE TO BE THAT WAY!
Here is a method of washing your car that uses almost no water, and requires no hoses, no soap, and minimal space. And the car gets cleaner! Here is everything you need to know:
This unique method of washing cars with no soap and very little water is well-known in
Here are the three simple steps:
1) First, dip a microfiber washcloth in a small bucket containing ONLY water, and wring it out until it is just damp (not dripping wet).
2) Next, wipe one section of the car (for example, a door, the roof, the hood, etc.) clean with the cloth, then flip the cloth over and repeat for a second, fine cleaning.
3) Now, put the washcloth in the bucket and use a dry microfiber towel to dry off the section you just washed. Repeat this until the car is done!
There are only three items required, but two of them are very important to get right!
- First, a microfiber washing cloth (like these at amazon.com) which you can buy locally or online.
- Second, one or two microfiber towels (you may need an extra towel so you always have a fairly dry towel to work with). We found these at amazon.
- The third item is simply a small bucket to hold the water in. Anything works, but if you are shopping at amazon, these are cheap and good enough…
VERY IMPORTANT: cotton towels won’t work! Microfiber cleaning cloths work without soap, making the carwash faster and more environmental. Microfiber towels absorb more water and absorb it faster than cotton. They also dry five times as fast, and they last much longer. The good news is that these products are very inexpensive if you shop around (if you want a good towel at a great price, we found the products highlighted at amazon.com, or you can check the automotive section of your local discount superstore).
Have fun and good luck!